Friday, August 21, 2015

Of my father's children. I love myself the best. If the Lord provides for me, the devil take the rest.

A self-made millionaire who interviewed 1,200 wealthy people noticed one behavior they all have in common. My wife read the story in "Busness Insider" and challenged me to guess what the trait was. I couldn't. She gave me a compliment: you are too idealistic. SELFISHNESS. I hate to think that. The full article is here. http://www.businessinsider.com/rich-people-think-selfishness-is-a-virtue-2015-8

I tell you what I do encounter lots: in TV, various news stories and reading: a type of value system. You can call it selfish as it often has to do with material issues. The haves, the have nots. But, it is a type if cynicism. The characters in novels are often the worst types, not real heroes, mostly everybody is on the take. . To me, this is why the "breaking headline" of the three Americas subduing the terrorist is so appealing. We want heroes. When I see TV and movies or read novels, I am looking for the hero. The guy or female who goes above and beyond, who puts other interests above their own--Not usual cynicism, and I am going to get my own first. Sacrifice, commitment, choosing the hard path. Is this impossible? No, but it is hard.

 

No comments: