Thursday, July 16, 2015

Me, Earl and The Dying Girl.

I can hardly believe the numbers of people who have not seen this movie. 
Me, Earl snd The Dying Girl
Maybe it is the TITLE. 

The movie's story is not different in a sense of any themes on death and dying and grief. Kids in the movie were very clever, like most kids today. I liked it and the subtlety of it. 

Maybe a little too much psychobabble, pointing out what creates teenagers angst; not distracting, however. Rachel's mom was a character that could have been developed more, I think. 

Interesting and like many movies where the theme is of loss and sadness, what was different is that it was a "coming of age" film where teenagers suddenly are propelled into adult situations. The movie makers threw us a little off track by announcing Rachel was going to live and we settled in with the idea that she is going through a bad patch but will overcome. Guess what? It wasn't true. She died. 

As of late, seems that the idea of death/grief seems to be pervasive. Could be the media, the population is getting older. It is the theme of movies, TV programs. 

In fact, I used this movie as a kind of dealing with grief: my granddaughter (she saw the movie with me) and I were "honoring Evan;" (Evan is a good family friend who fought cancer for 10 very hard years). Lupe is a rising Soph at Boston U but back in San Friend doing an internship at the Dave Eggars program of tutoring marginalized kids in English and writing skills).

Evan recently died. On her own, my Granddaughter wore a beautiful black dress so she could  honor Evvan. Her attire represented respect. Talk about making an OPA proud. She looked so great. 

A last thing as your eyes are glazing over. I am not sure exactly how the "heaven" thing works although I believe in it and I find comfort in the fact that someone, like Evan, has, in whatever way it does work for him, has found peace.   God bless him, for sure, on his journey.     

No comments: