Friday, May 15, 2015

A Good Life Wasn't Enough

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, the Boston bomber, now sentenced to death is more than tragic. First of all up front, let me say as a rule, I don't believe in the death penalty. It seems too extreme to me for a civilized society; but, that having been said, I think the jury got it right. There are some crimes so heinous that someone like Tsamaev forfeits his life among civilized people. 

What fascinates and saddens me about him is that our way of life was not enough to make him resistant to this heinous act. To such a crime, the question, is religion that strong? Islam apparently is. A handsome kid, introduced to all that America has: education, warm and comfortable existence; friends, family, not perfect but supportive: no telling what other opportunities. And, he is stupid beyond belief. 

My belief? F..k yes but the only one I have. Maybe I am deluding myself but how this kid could be this callous: way beyond me. WTF. 

No comments: