Tuesday, March 03, 2015

Right on Bill. I'll look forward to the book. I am involved with a group of vets and we have a lot of fun.  We all find the great "affirmation" of soldiers now very interesting, based on our experience.

The unbelievable hooplah about "American Sniper" is very baffling. It fascinated me. I guess Clint Eastwood, who is really John Wayne, must have figured he could make something that would be deeply felt. He made a war movie. Basically Chris Kyle was a good old Texas boy, parents fundamentalist Christians. Hunted as a kid. But, watching the movie, seeing them kick in doors, wives crying, kids frightened. Frankly for me, it was embarrassing and made me feel ashamed. 

Jesus said, "peace, peace but there is no peace." 5000 years there's been turmoil in the Mideast. We can't bring peace.  Personally, I am not sure that we can ever forgive, metaphorically speaking, George W and the neocons. No doubt Kyle suffered from PTSD, which we all have. 

What amazes me often is how soldiers, especially in combat, always are pretty much where this Marine was,"Despite the rhetoric I internalized from back home about why we were in Afghanistan, I ended up fighting for very different reasons...a mix of loyalty to my Marines, habit and the urge to survive.  "How We Learned To Kill" by Timothy Kudo, then LT in Afghanistan and now Captain (Marines are sending him to grad school at NYU. Good for him).

Bill, sorry about running off at the mouth, would love to hear your views. Will see it in the poetry for sure. It is great to hear from you. I asked your sister about you often. Whatever happened to the book on mules. I was excited as mules played a big part in my life growing up. I remember us talking about it. I have George, who was like a brother, as my screen saver on my iPhone. Talk to him everyday when I messing with it. And, in that light, I apologize for not being more involved with you as a kid. You certainly couldn't have had it easy. 
I don't know where my head was: you were younger and who knows but in my own mind, I have always been proud of your accomplishments and will definitely promote your book. Can't wait. {{{{{{Jerry}}}}}





On Mar 3, 2015, at 2:21 AM, William Blackley <wjblackley@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Jerry, Mine'a not a very uplifting look at war, but then how can it be.  I pray  for an end to world conflict.  If we could just get rid of greed . . . but then we have humans.   Love, Bill

On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 11:59 PM,<riobubba@aol.com> wrote:
Bill, great. I can't wait. 
34 Marie Street
Sausalito, CA 94965

{{{{{{{Jerry}}}}}} 


On Mar 2, 2015, at 5:39 PM, William Blackley <wjblackley@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Jerry, 

I wrote some poetry regarding my experience in Vietnam and would like to send you the book.  Can you tell me  your mailing address.  

You can see the link below but . . . do not buy the book because . . .  I'm sending this book to you at no expense to you . . .  please let me do that.  

Love, Bill Blackley



 

Here’s a link directly to my author’s page:

 

http://mainstreetrag.com/bookstore/product/lingering-fire/

 

The MSR Online Bookstore: http://mainstreetrag.com/bookstore/

 

 


William J. Blackley, MD
Elkin, NC 28621
336-835-4630 H
336-483-7061 M



-- 
Best,
Bill

William J. Blackley, MD
Elkin, NC 28621
336-835-4630 H
336-483-7061 M

No comments: