Saturday, March 14, 2015

GAYS and REDINESS


 
I read the Fox News Article that featured Chaplain Modder.  On the surface it does look like the Chaplain was "railroaded" , although, I am aware that some evangelical chaplains, [historically] have not handled such cases very well.  

Having said that I do believe there is growing pressure in government institutions to secularize Christianity and get down to the lowest common denominator.  I would like to see our denominations , including Roman Catholic Church, LDS, (all who believe in the sanctity of marriage b/w man and woman) get involved in order to protect freedom of religion, free speach, etc.  There are issues where most denominations could come together and have a great impact....this being one of them.  (there is power in numbers)  --Tom ---you could organize the effort.
 
I know Tom mentioned that there is "more  to the Story"., and I don't doubt that, however,  the bottom line is, there is increasing pressure on chaplains, especially, in  Navy and AF to adapt their faith to societal and cultural standards. 
 
Last week I preached  a message on "The Law of God in an increasingly Lawless society".  No doubt the sermon needs more work, but I think it has potential.  Part of the thesis is:  The foundational principle behind all of God's laws (speaking of the10 Commandments) is contingent upon the recognition and adherance to the first two:  1) Thou shalt have no other God's before me and 2) Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven images.  Once those two commandments are compromised it is easy to disregard the rest.   Result:  Secularism; Judging our behavior and standards on cultural norms (relatives rather than absolutes), etc. 
DP, Col. USA, Ret
 

😳Dave, I think you have the right idea but I don't think it will fly. The structure of the military won't allow it. Top generals are too much politicians. Plus, Fox News is so biased by aligning ourselves with them is a "fast train to nowhere." What we need is for the volunteer military to fail and I don't know how to bring that about. Readiness is affected by gays as there is a homophobic nature to it. Same sex marriage, of course, is not a separate issue. I can't conceive that the 82d would accept homosexuality on a wholesale scale. It is not in their nature. And some gay male introducing a man as his husband, these guys would go bananas. 

But, I also think women have hurt readiness, too. 

We don't have any champions. You have the Republicans but they are grandstanding, writing letters to Iran, such bullshit as that. But, we don't have anybody on a wholesale scale who will rise up and say the military is vastly affecte as they are not a social organization. 

Of course, I have no faith in the Navy or AF. To me, we have to figure out how to tie the issue to readiness and I don't know how to do that. Probably all of us, if we are honest, are homophobic. I sure am and find myself making jokes, "fruits," etc. But, none of us would be cruel to gays. 

Being in the gay capital, I see it everywhere but it really is a type of segregation. We have all kinds of gay friends but don't socialize. I kid Jackie, she has this gay boyfriend. She has lunch occasionally but not much interaction. To be honest, I just don't know. I am in line with the EPC mostly but nobody has asked me to perform a gay wedding and so not a problem. 

A dilemma and I don't know the answer. I hate it for the chaplain. He looks angry but I have a sneaky feeling he is a good chaplain. 

LOL. I Have this great war story that relates to this. I will send along sometime. God bless us all. As my dad use to say, "might as well laugh as cry." 
Jda, Col., USA, Ret
 



No comments: