Wednesday, September 24, 2014

AMAZON

I cannot believe that Amazon did not invite me to their "Campfire" for writers. What the hell! F..K, double F..K. I could have used some of those lavish gifts. Damn, a retreat, relaxed. Come on Jeff. Look at it like this, you invited all these big names for the last four years to your "Campfire" and now, you need a little "love" and they jump up and bite you in the arsh.   

I have been a big supporter. I am beaucoup applauding Amazon for leveling the playing field. Always before, big time, established publishers have pretty much had everything to themselves, mostly ignoring us unheralded authors. In the present dispute, I sense a lot of whining going on. 

I am not the type "not" to take sides. I choose Amazon. For us no-names, Amazon has given us a chance and for myself, if I am anything, I am loyal. 

I've read lots about the dispute and I doubt the dire claims of the "end" of publishing. If I am looking a book, I can find it somewhere.  Maybe I don't have to have it tomorrow. Manipulating ordering, pricing. What the hell, retail stores have their own systems. They put books they are pushing in strategic spots. Probably kickbacks in some form. 

As a writer and small publisher, few of the reading public understand how insane this process of getting published is.  About a hundred percent of the time, us would be published authors  cannot even get Hatchett to respond. No use blaming them. In California, we have more writers than readers. Regardless, before Amazon, we were s..t out of luck. To a large degree, Amazon and the Internet have changed that. I know for a fact that you can get a   few readers, people say to me, "where are your books?" AMAZON. No small thing. 

Here is s good example of the insanity of this business: I have been querying 
agents for months (Queried 40 plus and can't even get anybody to read my novel--they don't know if I have a masterpiece or not because they haven't read it).  But, in a real sense, pressure is off, owing much to Amazon, I have options: publish myself, get it on Amazon. Do an E-book. 

The plight of the author doesn't escape me but it has to be more than money. Sniveling aside, authors or at least those I know, to include myself, realize. this is a tough business and an insane one with no real rules. Big named authors who have made millions may feel slighted but I have a hard time feeling sorry for them. 

No comments: